This week’s ingredient spotlight goes to the potato! Each week we’re working to introduce a key ingredient that we believe in feeding our dogs here at NomNomNow, and why we think they should be in your dogs’ bowls. And the potato is high on our list!
If your dogs eat with us at NomNomNow, you may have noticed that potatoes are featured in a couple of our popular recipes. And it’s not only because potatoes compliment beef and pork well.
Here are just 7 of the reasons you can feel great about feeding your dog this classic vegetable:
- Potatoes are carbohydrates that keep your dog moving by providing the body with energy. In a fresh diet like NomNomNow, all that energy coming from a whole ingredient like our boiled potatoes means it can all be used.
- Potatoes contain vitamin B6. Not only is it needed for our dog’s brain to develop and function normally, but it also plays an essential role in generating hormones that influence mood, and regulate the body clock.
- Potatoes are full of vitamin C, which keeps our dogs moving by helping in the formation and maintenance of connective tissue, including bones, blood vessels, and skin. Perfect for our four-legged friends who could use a little extra help getting around.
- Potatoes are packed with potassium! Potassium helps trigger the heart to squeeze blood throughout your dog’s body several thousand times daily. And it doesn’t stop there! It also aids in muscle movement, nerve signaling, and blood filtering.
- Potatoes contain magnesium, the hall monitor regulating muscle and nerve function, as well as blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Top top it off, potatoes contain manganese, a multi-talented mineral, which plays a role in fat and carb metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation.
Getting the vitamins and minerals you need is a healthy part of your diet– and now you know how potatoes help your dogs eat balanced and nutritious meals as well!